NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I scan the markets every day searching for overbought and oversold stocks that are worth examining closer. In a market that is near all-time highs, finding beat-up stocks is surprisingly easy. The real trick is to separate dead-cat bounces from potential winners.
Dead cats can quickly smell up a portfolio, so before we make a move we want to have as much working for us as we can. Insider buying, improving earnings, technical indicators and other metrics can take the emotion out of investing and provide the courage to push the button while others are throwing in the white towel.
I like the following for a holding time of about six months and a profit target gain of about 30%. Never lose sight of the fact that there's a reason why investors walked away and be ready to do the same if they don't work out.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV