ADVISORY, Aug. 14, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Gold and metals stocks rose sharply over the past five trading days as the PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU), which tracks companies involved in the gold or silver mining industry, rose 12.9%. Overall, U.S. stocks moved modestly lower as investors digested second quarter earnings and begin to look ahead to the September U.S. Federal Reserve meeting. U.S. housing sector stocks notably underperformed, moving into negative territory year-to-date. The PHLX HOUSING SEC TOR INDEX (HGX) fell 3.4% during this time period.
"U.S. stocks have been lagging as investors scrutinize macroeconomic growth data and corporate earnings while speculating on the timing of Fed stimulus curtailment," said Dave Gedeon, Managing Director, NASDAQ OMX Global Indexes. "In addition, European stocks have been stronger as their data improves."TOP INDEX MOVERS LAST 5 TRADING DAYS (+/-)
|TOP 5 EQUITY INDEXES:||8/7/13 - 8/13/13|
|NASDAQ CHINA INDEX (NQCN)||+4.0%|
|PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX)||-3.4%|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU)||+2.8%|
|NASDAQ EMERGING MARKETS INDEX (NQEM)||+1.9%|
|NASDAQ BIOTECHNOLOGY INDEX (NBI)||-1.3%|
|TOP 5 COMMODITY INDEXES:||8/7/13 8/1313|
|PHLX GOLD & SILVER INDEX (XAU)||+12.9%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY SILVER INDEX ER (NQCISIER)||+9.3%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY PRECIOUS METALS INDEX ER (NQCIPMER)||+4.9%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY INDUSTRIAL METALS INDEX ER (NQCIIMER)||+4.4%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY AGRICULTURE INDEX ER (NQCIACER)||+3.2%|
- Gold moved sharply higher for the five day period after a two week period of weakness. The PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU) rose 12.9%.
- Chinese and European stocks outperformed as concerns in those corners of the market faded and the dollar moved off of its one month lows. Over the five day period ending August 13th, the NASDAQ CHINA INDEX (NQCN) and the NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEU) rose 4% and 2.8%, respectively.
- Housing Sector stocks fell for the five week period as some companies reported orders below estimates and the affordability index ticked lower. The PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX) fell 3.4% for the period and is now 0.8% lower year-to-date.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Nora Sabry Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5468 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts