Dillard’s, Inc. (NYSE: DDS) (the “Company” or “Dillard’s”) announced operating results for the 13 and 26 weeks ended August 3, 2013. This release contains certain forward-looking statements. Please refer to the Company’s cautionary statements regarding forward-looking information included below under “Forward-Looking Information.”
Highlights of the Company’s Second Quarter Performance
Second Quarter Results
- A 25% increase in second quarter earnings per share compared to the prior year
- A 1% increase in comparable store sales
- Merchandise gross margin improvement of 10 basis points of sales
Dillard’s reported net income for the 13 weeks ended August 3, 2013 of $36.5 million, or $0.79 per share compared to net income of $31.0 million, or $0.63 per share, for the prior year second quarter.
Dillard’s Chief Executive Officer, William T. Dillard, II, stated, “Following a strong start to the year, we made further progress in the second quarter. Positive comparable store sales and gross margin expansion combined with continued expense control enabled us to report another quarter of year over year improvement at Dillard’s.”
26 Week Results
Dillard’s reported net income for the 26 weeks ended August 3, 2013 of $153.7 million, or $3.30 per share compared to net income of $126.0 million, or $2.53 per share, for the prior year 26-week period. Included in net income for the 26-week period ended August 3, 2013 is a net after-tax credit totaling $4.4 million ($0.09 per share) comprised of the following three items:
- A $7.6 million after tax gain ($0.16 per share) related to the sale of an investment
- A $1.0 million after tax credit ($0.02 per share) related to a pension adjustment
- After-tax asset impairment and store closing charges of $4.2 million ($0.09 per share)
Excluding this credit, Dillard’s would have reported net income of $149.3 million ($3.20 per share) for the 26-week period ended August 3, 2013, a 26% earnings per share increase over the prior year 26-week performance.