NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Amid hard criticism during the quarter from his stake in J.C. Penney (JCP) and his short position in Herbalife (LF) Pershing Square Capital Management's Bill Ackman made some notable cuts to his portfolio, paring some bigger names.
In Pershing's 13-F filing, Ackman was seen reducing his stake in General Growth Properties (GGP), going to 67.7 million shares from 74.7 million shares. Ackman had been instrumental in getting the real estate investment trust company out of bankruptcy several years ago, as the mall owner returned to the public markets.
He also cut his stake in Matson (MATX), an ocean freight carrier company. During the second-quarter, Ackman got rid of his stake in Mondelez (MDLZ) the food and beverage company that was spun off from Kraft Foods (KRFT). Mondelez has received activist investor attention from Nelson Peltz, who has urged the company to merge with Pepsi (PEP) to form a snack food giant.
In the filing Ackman revealed a 10.1 million share stake in Air Products & Chemicals (APD). The filing showed that Air Products & Chemicals is Ackman's latest activist target, representing a $2.2 billion investment in the company, calling it "undervalued" and an "attractive investment."During the quarter, Ackman raised his position in Procter & Gamble (PG), bringing his total investment in the Cincinnati-based conglomerate 33.9 million shares, though that includes call options. Ackman gave a presentation in May at the Ira Sohn Conference, suggesting that P&G could be worth as much as $125 per share. He noted the company could be earning $6 per share by 2016, up from $4 per share currently. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV