NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking with Stephanie Link this morning about the crude oil market and a couple of indicators I think are pointing to a higher price in the next few weeks.
Even though oil is over $106 a barrel and most analysts believe that we are at the top of the crude price range, there are a few indicators that I see in the futures market that tell me that the price is not finished going up.
One is what commodity traders call the "curve" of prices. Futures are priced in monthly deliveries and each month becomes a separate contract, with a separate price, as if each month was an individual stock. How those prices relate to each other is called the "curve."
What's interesting about the current curve is a condition called a premium market, or a backwardated market. That means that the prices drop as you move out along the curve. You might naturally think that if prices are going down as you go further out in time, that would indicate a bearish outlook, but in fact, most bull markets in oil have been accompanied by a backwardated curve.Other numbers in the futures market indicate a stronger crude price going forward being more likely. Two of them are the increasing open interest, or increasing participation from investors in the futures market, and also the way the spreads between the months are currently trading. Both of these indicators are a bit technical and I discuss them and some of the stocks I am looking at to capitalize on higher oil with Stephanie Link in the video above. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV