Updated from 8:28 a.m. ET with information on casualties.
The pilot and the co-pilot, the only two occupants of the aircraft, were both killed in the carsh, Birmingham Mayor William Bell said, according to Reuters. The two have not been identified. Bell said no bystanders were hurt in the incident.
The Federal Aviation Administration said the airplane was an Airbus A300, MyFoxAL.com reported. An airport spokesman said the crash site is outside the airport's perimeter fence and has not impacted airport operation, the station said.The crash caused at least two explosions, according to NBC News affiliate WVTM. Flight 1354 was en route from the UPS hub in Louisville, Ky., a UPS spokeswoman told Bloomberg. The overnight cargo company said it is still determining details of the accident. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV