MannKind Corporation (Nasdaq:MNKD) today announced that it will hold a conference call at 4:00 pm (EDT) today to discuss preliminary results from Study 171 and Study 175, two Phase 3 clinical studies of AFREZZA ® (insulin human [rDNA origin]) Inhalation Powder, an investigational, ultra rapid-acting mealtime insulin therapy administered using MannKind’s next-generation (Gen2) inhaler (also known as the Dreamboat™ inhaler).
Highlights of Study 171
In patients with type 1 diabetes, AFREZZA, compared to insulin aspart, showed:
- Non-inferior decreases in A1c levels;
- Significantly less hypoglycemia;
- Significant decreases in fasting blood glucose levels; and
- Significant weight advantage.
In addition, the changes in pulmonary function observed in the AFREZZA-Gen2 group were no different than those observed in an AFREZZA treatment group that utilized MannKind’s first-generation (MedTone) inhaler.Highlights of Study 175 In patients with type 2 diabetes treated with oral therapy, AFREZZA, compared to oral therapy alone, showed:
- Superior reductions in A1c levels;
- Significantly more patients reached A1c target levels;
- Reduced postprandial glucose excursions; and
- No significant difference in the incidence of severe hypoglycemia.