NASSAU, Bahamas, Aug. 13, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ultrapetrol (Bahamas) Limited (Nasdaq:ULTR), an industrial transportation company serving marine transportation needs in three markets (River Business, Offshore Supply Business and Ocean Business), today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013.
Second Quarter 2013 and subsequent events highlights:
- Recorded second quarter 2013 revenues of $121.8 million;
- Recorded adjusted EBITDA of $32.6 million in the second quarter of 2013; 1 which includes adjusted EBITDA of $20.5 million from our River Business, adjusted EBITDA of $6.8 million from Offshore Supply Business segment, adjusted EBITDA of $0.2 million from Ocean Business segment, and adjusted EBITDA of $5.2 million from other activities—primarily foreign currency exchange cash gains;
- Total adjusted net income and adjusted net income per share of $12.5 million and $0.09 per share, respectively, in the second quarter of 2013 which excludes the effect of a $1.1 million gain for deferred taxes on unrealized foreign exchange losses on U.S. dollar-denominated debt of our Brazilian subsidiary in our Offshore Supply Business, a $(0.2) million non-cash loss from debt extinguishments and a $0.1 million gain related to the sale of dry barges which were subsequently leased back to the Company (for accounting purposes such gain will be deferred over the term of the lease up to the present value of the lease payments). 2 Before adjusting for these effects, the recorded total net income and net income per share are $13.5 million and $0.10, respectively;
- We redeemed on July 10, 2013, all $180.0 million of our outstanding 9% First Preferred Ship Mortgage Notes due 2014 with proceeds of our offering of $200.0 million 8 7/8% First Preferred Ship Mortgage Notes due 2021 (at quarter end both the 2014 and the 2021 Notes are shown outstanding with $181.6 million of proceeds held in cash until redemption date of July 10, 2013);
- Second quarter 2013 Adjusted EBITDA for our River Business segment increased almost threefold compared with the same period of 2012 as a result of normal crop year and rainfall and the increased activity from our Punta Alvear shipyard;
- In July 2013, our PSV UP Amber, commenced operations in Brazil under a long term time charter with Petrobras. In addition, on August 12, 2013, we took delivery of UP Pearl, the eleventh PSV in our fleet which is expected to commence a four year charter with Petrobras during the fourth quarter of 2013;
- Entered into a barge building contract for an additional seven tank barges for a third party. Delivery of these barges is expected in the fourth quarter of 2013.
1 For a reconciliation of non-GAAP measures, please see the tables included under the supplemental information section of this release.2 For a detailed explanation of these adjustments and other adjustments elsewhere in this release, see "Overview of Financial Results" and the tables included under the Supplemental Information section of this release Felipe Menéndez, Ultrapetrol's President and Chief Executive Officer, stated, "We generated strong second quarter results, consistent with our expectations. During the quarter, we achieved strong utilization for our larger and more efficient river fleet, capitalizing on a crop year that has produced high volumes of soy beans and other agricultural commodities as well as the strong demand for iron ore transportation. Our shipyard is producing close to its maximum capacity and we continue to successfully sell barges to third parties as well while adding new barges to grow Ultrapetrol's fleet. This has also been an exciting quarter in our Offshore Business: We renewed the contracts on four of our existing vessels with Petrobras for an additional four years with substantial increases over the expiring rates. We also chartered our two new vessels UP Amber, which was delivered in the first quarter of 2013, and UP Pearl, which was delivered yesterday at the yard in India, both to Petrobras for four years at a rate of $32,950 per day. Our ocean tankers have done well and continue to be employed in the same flag restricted trade in which they have operated in the past. In our container feeder service, we expect cargos to increase over second quarter levels in the third quarter." Mr. Menéndez continued, "The success we have experienced in River and Offshore so far this year is the result of the significant investment that the Company made in these sectors over the past five years which are now starting to show in our results. During the first half of the year we generated EBITDA of $51.9 million and expect to benefit from the full impact of stronger rates on our PSV fleet as the year progresses."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts