The activist investor noted on Twitter that his firm has a large position in the technology giant. Icahn also noted that he spoke to Apple CEO Tim Cook earlier Tuesday.
We currently have a large position in APPLE. We believe the company to be extremely undervalued. Spoke to Tim Cook today. More to come.— Carl Icahn (@Carl_C_Icahn) August 13, 2013
Icahn noted that a larger buyback should be done at Apple, and that Icahn and Cook would speak again shortly.Bloomberg News reported that Icahn's stake in the Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple is worth more than $1 billion.
Had a nice conversation with Tim Cook today. Discussed my opinion that a larger buyback should be done now. We plan to speak again shortly.— Carl Icahn (@Carl_C_Icahn) August 13, 2013During Apple's fiscal second-quarter, the company increased its buyback authorization program, adding $50 billion to its buyback program for a total of $100 billion, the largest in U.S. history. Apple also raised its quarterly dividend to $3.05 per share, an increase of 15% over its previous level. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV