USA Among World’s Top Three Most Expensive Destinations For International Students
The United States is now the world’s second most expensive country for international students, according to new research from HSBC Group. The combined average annual cost of university fees and living expenses in the U.S. is over US$35,000. However, overseas students at Ivy League institutions can expect to pay far more, with total costs running in excess of US$58,000.
As part of its research, the global bank analysed publically available data on higher education in thirteen major countries and territories around the world. Perhaps surprisingly, it found that Germany scored lowest for international students with combined annual tuition and living costs of just US$6,285. Australia was the most expensive destination coming in at US$38,515. One of the main factors behind this was a notable strengthening of the Australian Dollar against the U.S. and other currencies. The U.K. placed third in the study at a little over US$30,000.
International student expenses in increasingly popular Asian study destinations such as the UAE, Singapore and Hong Kong were all above US$20,000 a year, mostly as a result of rising living costs.
Table: Average annual cost of Studying Abroad for International Students
|Country||Annual Fees||Annual Cost ofliving||Annual Total|
|United Arab Emirates||$21,371||$6,004||$27,375|
|In US$ per year|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV