Pemex' production has been declining since 2004, to the point where Kinder Morgan Energy Partners (KMP) has actually begun exporting natural gas to Mexico through its pipelines. Successful new strikes could bring the whole economy back, as they have brought the U.S. back.
While it's "big oil" that's being talked about most here, I suspect Nieto's plan may provide a bigger boost to some smaller U.S. exploration companies with Mexican-American leadership, like Sanchez Energy (SN), headed by a former Texas gubernatorial candidate, Tony Sanchez, and his son.
Sanchez is just now moving beyond its original niche in Texas' Eagle Ford shale, buying leases in what's called the "Tuscaloosa Marine" play, extending across the center of Louisiana into Mississippi. That experience could set the company up to deal with a partner like Pemex.
Such a smaller company, run by Mexican-Americans, might be welcome in the Texas-Mexico border areas, where Pemex is currently planning to invest $200 million in exploration, according to EagleFordShale.comRather than giving away the country's "patrimony," in other words, Pena Nieto is trying to bring in technology and create new partnerships in an atmosphere of mutual respect. Anyone who thinks the pre-1938 oil rush of multinationals buying Mexico is about to come back may be in for a surprise. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned but his wife's family has a lease on its land with Sanchez Oil. Follow @danafblankenhor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV