GE (NYSE: GE) announced today the opening of the Paldiski Wind Farm on the Pakri peninsula in northwestern Estonia. With 18 GE 2.5-100 wind turbines, the Paldiski Wind Farm marks the commercial debut of the company’s wind turbine technology in Estonia, one of Europe’s most promising wind sectors. GE representatives were joined at the ceremony by officials from Eesti Energia AS and Nelja Energia AS , the owners of the wind farm, as well as President of Estonia Toomas Hendrik Ilves.
“I am glad that Paldiski wind farm has been completed. One more efficient power plant has been added to Eesti Energia’s generating portfolio, as wind conditions on Pakri peninsula are excellent,” said Sandor Liive , chairman of the Eesti Energia management board. Eesti Energia currently operates four wind farms: Paldiski, Aulepa, Narva and Virtsu, with a total capacity of 111 MW.
Thanks to strong winds coming off the Baltic Sea and the installation of the Paldiski Wind Farm, Estonia experienced a significant development for wind power last year. According to Martin Kruus, who is the chairman of the board of both Nelja Energia and the Estonian Wind Power Association, Estonia erected a record number of wind turbines last year with a total capacity of 86 megawatts (MW) that led to the overall capacity of 269 MW. “The amount of wind energy generated during 2012 grew by 23 percent,” said Kruus.
“Wind continues to play a significant role in powering communities, and GE’s wind turbines offer high efficiency and reliability for a broad range of wind conditions,” said Cliff Harris, general manager, GE Renewable Energy Europe. “Our 2.5-100 wind turbine is a product of GE’s evolution in the wind industry and is an excellent addition to the multi-megawatt wind sector. Advancements in serviceability and grid integration from earlier GE turbine models make it a great fit for Estonia’s robust wind conditions.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV