RICHMOND, Va., Aug. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Education grants of more than $600,000 from Dominion Resources and the Dominion Foundation will be awarded to schools and educational institutions around Virginia for the 2013-2014 academic year.
The K-12 Educational Partnership program will give 43 schools up to $10,000 each to help fund projects related to energy and the environment. The Higher Education Partnership program will award 18 college and post-secondary schools with up to $45,000 each to underwrite projects in energy, environmental studies, engineering and workforce development. The Dominion Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Dominion Resources, the parent company of Dominion Virginia Power.
"We encourage projects that invoke critical thinking and relevant learning," said Thomas F. Farrell II, chairman, president and chief executive officer. "Virginia students must be prepared to meet the challenges ahead, particularly in the fields of science and energy."
Grant recipients include:
- Old Dominion University in Norfolk will receive $40,000 for first-year engineering students to use the school's photovoltaic power system as a hands-on tool to learn fundamental technology concepts behind renewable energy.
- Paul D. Camp Community College in Franklin will be awarded $30,000 to create a Robotics and Mechatronics Laboratory to support current electronics programs.
- Canterbury Woods Elementary School in Annandale will use $3,500 to create an outdoor classroom and science lab for students to construct an edible garden while studying the life cycles of monarch butterflies, life processes and animal interaction with plants.
- Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind in Staunton will receive $1,000 to install a rainwater catchment system for the school gardens.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts