Apple's product pipeline is planned years in advance, not months or weeks. Jobs knew full well that Apple would be releasing a slew of new products in the fall of 2012 (iPhone 5, iPad mini, new iPad, MacBook Pro, etc.) and then be barren for the majority of 2013. To suggest that he didn't is wrong.
Apple will still continue to innovate under this team because the majority of the team is still there, albeit without Jobs. It was Jobs himself who set up the company structure so that Ive would have the autonomy he needs to work on hardware without anyone telling him what to do. Cook has only strengthened that, making Ive more important last year when Scott Forstall (a Jobs disciple, mind you) was ousted from the company. Now, Ive is even more important, as he's responsible for software at Apple as well, having completely redesigned iOS 7.
What many fail to realize is that when Jobs was in control of Apple the first time, he was a CEO with a weak executive team behind him. Jobs' greatest legacy at Apple may not have been the iPhone, iPad or any other product, but rather the team he built. Cook, Ive, Mansfield, Cue, and Schiller are all the very best at what they do in their respective fields, and that's exactly how Jobs set it up.
While I respect Mr. Ellison for his opinion, he's undoubtedly wrong for saying we know what Apple looks like post-Jobs.--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV