The company's shares gained 0.91% to reach $13.29 in pre-market trading.
J.C. Penney also announced that retail industry veteran Ronald W. Tysoe, the former Vice Chairman at Federated Department Stores, now known as Macy's (M), has been elected to the board. The Board also intends to name "another highly qualified new director" in the near future, it said."During my time on the J. C. Penney Board of Directors, I have always advocated for what I believe to be in the best interests of the Company - its stockholders, employees and others," said Ackman, in the statement. "At this time, I believe that the addition of two new directors and my stepping down from the Board is the most constructive way forward for J. C. Penney and all other parties involved." In its statement, J.C. Penney's board also reaffirmed its "overwhelming support" for CEO Mike Ullman and Chairman Thomas Engibous "both of whom have been working tirelessly to position the Company for future success." "This important work has included stabilizing the Company`s operations and financial position, restoring confidence among vendors, and taking steps to get customers back into stores," it added. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV