BENTON HARBOR, Mich., Aug. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Whirlpool Corporation [NYSE: WHR] today announced that it has entered into agreements to become a majority shareholder (51 percent) in Hefei Rongshida Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd. [600983: Shanghai], a leading home appliances manufacturer based in Hefei, China.
Through this transaction, a Whirlpool Corporation subsidiary will acquire all shares currently owned by Sanyo Electric Co. Ltd. and Sanyo Electric Co. ( China) Ltd., and purchase new Hefei Sanyo shares via a private placement.
The transaction is subject to customary conditions, certain termination rights, Chinese regulatory approval, and Hefei Sanyo shareholders' approval. After the transaction is approved, Whirlpool will acquire a majority stake in Hefei Sanyo for approximately RMB 3.4 billion/ USD 552 million cash, based on the exchange rate as of August 9, 2013. The transaction is expected to close by the end of 2014. Whirlpool expects that this transaction will be accretive in the first full year of integration."Whirlpool has a strong presence in China's higher tier segments, this acquisition allows the company to build on, complement, and grow its position in the emerging Chinese market and to leverage our global enterprise for greater efficiencies," said Jeff Fettig, CEO and Chairman of Whirlpool Corporation. "As the leading global manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, we will leverage the technology capabilities of Hefei Sanyo and provide the investments to enhance Hefei Sanyo's research and development and product innovation capabilities. This will give Chinese consumers a broader range of innovative, high-quality products through our combined trusted portfolio of brands." Mike Todman, president of Whirlpool International, added: "Hefei Sanyo has an established nationwide distribution platform, a scaled manufacturing presence with opportunity for growth, and is ideally located in Hefei, a recognized appliance hub in China. Hefei Sanyo is a well-managed, profitable business with great prospects, led by an experienced and capable executive team with a track record of delivering strong performance. " For additional information about the transaction, see Whirlpool Corporation's Current Report on Form 8-K dated August 12, 2013. Whirlpool Corporation's earnings and cash flow outlook for the full-year 2013 remain unchanged from the last update contained in its earnings release dated July 19, 2013. About Whirlpool Corporation Whirlpool Corporation is the world's leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, with annual sales of approximately $18 billion in 2012, 68,000 employees, and 65 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Consul, Bauknecht and other major brand names to consumers in nearly every country around the world. Additional information about the company can be found at http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com. Hefei Sanyo: Corporate Fact sheet
- Year established: 1994
- Headquarters: Hefei, Anhui Province
- Corporate Structure: A joint venture between former Hefei Rongshida Group Co., Ltd and Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd., and Sanyo Electric ( China) Co., Ltd., a subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation [TSE: 6752]
- Financials: Hefei Sanyo reported revenue of $636 million, EBIT of $51 million, EBITDA of $59 million, and net earnings of $48 million for full year 2012. They reported revenue of $204 million, EBIT of $19 million, and net earnings of $17 million for Q1 2013.
- Number of employees: 10,000
- Chairman: Jin Youhua
- Main Brands: Sanyo, Rongshida /Royal Star and Diqua
- Main Products: washer, refrigerator, microwave oven
- Number of manufacturing bases: three
- Sales networks: large nationwide distribution network
- Listing: Listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange since July 2004 (Ticker: 600983)
- Major shareholders: Hefei State-owned Assets Holding Co., Ltd (33.57%), Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd. and affiliated companies (29.51%)