OptionMonster's tracking systems detected unusual activity in the name as traders looked for short-term gains this week. The August 51 calls were the busiest, with blocks going for 38 cents to 50 cents. The August 50s, 52s and 52.50s followed, each with more than 4,300 contracts trading.
These calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased in the megabank. If Monday's trades are right about a rally by this Friday, those contracts provide some significant leverage in a hurry.
Citigroup's stock fell 0.82%, to $40.90, in the session, but the stock is up 29% so far this year. Most of that move occurred by late May, and shares have been drifting lower since.Total option volume in the name was almost twice its daily average, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 2 to 1. At the time of publication, Najarian owned C calls, although positions may change at any time.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV