NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Have your bought your child a backpack with pop sensations One Direction on it, or a spiral notebook plastered with the family on A&E's reality television series "Duck Dynasty?" Apparently these are two of the season's hottest trends in school supplies.
Less than a month from now, most schools and colleges around the country will be back in session, with students sporting the latest fall clothing trends, hot electronics, gizmos and gadgets, all to kick off a fresh season of learning.
For retailers, "back-to-school" is one of the biggest shopping seasons of the year, second to the Christmas holiday season. Of course the most popular categories to shop for are apparel and electronics, but plenty more retailers will see a lift from school supplies and sports gear to dormitory furnishings for older students.
Besides One Direction and Duck Dynasty, this year kids will be sporting apparel and supplies doused in neon, licensed NCAA decor and animated character favorites from movies like Monsters University, according to a Wal-Mart survey.Consumers are in full shopping mode right now for their school gear, even though early reports say that, sales are slower than usual. Total back-to-school and back-to-college spending combined will reach $72.5 billion, the National Retail Federation estimates. Families with school-age children are expected to spend an average of $634.78 to prepare for school, 8% less than they spent in 2012. Those with college-age students will spend approximately $836.83 on gear, also 8% less than last year, NRF says. Also see: Retailers Brace for Lower Back-to-School Sales Also see: Top 10 Back-to-School Tablets No matter how fashion-forward the items get, some back-to-school items never get old, but retailers are putting fresh spins on some classic items. Here are four that got TheStreet.com's attention.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV