The broad indices ended mixed after a session of light trading volume, as investors looked ahead to economic announcements, including July retail sales on Tuesday, the Producer Price Index on Wednesday, Consumer Price Index on Thursday and housing starts on Friday. Investors are also looking to upcoming speeches from Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta president Dennis Lockhart and Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta president James Bullard for additional clues on an expected tapering of monthly bond purchases by the central bank.
As part of the monetary stimulus policy known has "QE3," the Federal Reserve has been expanding its balance sheet with a net $85 billion per month in purchases of long-term bonds since last September.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) made up some earlier losses end with a slight decline to close at 65.16, with 14 of the 24 index components ending with declines. The index has risen 27% this year, following a 30% gain during 2012. The S&P 500 (SPX.X) is up 18% year-to-date, after rising 13% last year.According to BMO Capital Markets chief investment strategist Brian Belski, "all of the good news is more than fully reflected in current stocks prices." In a note on Friday, Belski added "Frankly, most investors want to validate higher prices tomorrow because they were higher today. When it comes to fundamentals, further multiple expansion and margin improvement are well saturated views." "
CitigroupShares of Citigroup have returned 29% this year, following a 51% return during 2012. The shares trade just below their reported June 30 tangible book value of $53.10, and for 9.1 times the consensus 2014 EPS estimate of $5.57, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $4.94.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV