US Airways Mechanics Vote to Stay in IAM
The IAM received 1,903 votes, according to an IAM spokesman. The Teamsters, seeking to raid the group, won 1,418 votes. Eight people voted for AMFA. There were 4,376 eligible voters.
Votes were counted at the National Mediation Board office in Washington. Voting began on July 8. Two months earlier, the Teamsters said they had submitted 2,800 signed cards requesting an election from bargaining unit members.
During the election, the IAM emphasized the value of its highly-regarded pension plan to a bargaining unit that includes many workers who are around 50 years old.In addition, during the voting period charges surfaced that the IBT submitted forged cards in its effort to secure an election at American (AAMRQ.PK), where mechanics and related workers are represented by the Transport Workers Union. The NMB is investigating those charges. The Teamsters argued they could better represent workers than the IAM, which negotiated concessionary contracts during two US Airways bankruptcies filed in 2003 and again in 2004. The union said US Airways worked had asked it to organize at the carrier. On July 31, the Late Wednesday, the IAM released a letter it had written to the NMB asking the board to investigate whether the IBT submitted forged US Airways cards as well as forged American Airlines cards. Despite its victory, the IAM intends to pursue the issue, a spokesman said. Follow @tedreednc -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV