With shares trading for $37.38 midday Friday, a 9,500-lot of September 39 calls traded on DOW for $0.39 per contract on CBOE. A buyer initiated the trade, according to a source on the floor. By noon, more than 14,000 contracts traded. By the closing bell, those same calls were trading for more than $0.80 after the stock gained an additional 1.7. August, January and March 39 calls on DOW were active through mid-day Friday as well.
Perhaps the most interesting activity in DOW Friday was in the one-day weekly 38 calls that have since expired. In late-day action, with the stock trading for $37.87, a sweep of 1,435 contracts traded for $0.04 each when the market was $0.00 to $0.04 cents. The interest was unusual because the calls were $0.13 out-of-the-money and only 90 minutes remained in the trading day. Then, Dow continued rallying and hit a high of $38.50. At its best levels, the 38 calls were $0.50 in-the-money and traded for as much as $0.30 per contract.
Bloomberg had an article about the unusual activity in DOW. The piece, titled Dow Calls Hit Five-Month High Amid Activist Speculation also highlighted the increased interest in the September 39 calls on DOW and noted that activist investor Nelson Peltz has amassed a very big stake in peer DuPont (DD), which said last month that it's considering a spinoff or shedding its chemicals performance unit. Now, investors are possibly speculating that DOW is possibly an activist target as well. We'll see. The stock is ticking down $0.19 to $37.85 Monday morning.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV