5 Buy-Rated Dividend Stocks: RGP, MAA, PEG, CLMT, RAI
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 5 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." Regency Energy Partners (NYSE: RGP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 6.60%. Regency Energy Partners LP engages in gathering, treating, processing, compressing, and transporting natural gas and natural gas liquids (NGLs). The company operates in Gathering and Processing, Natural Gas Transportation, NGL Services, and Contract Services segments. The average volume for Regency Energy Partners has been 691,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Regency Energy Partners has a market cap of $5.7 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 28.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Regency Energy Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $67.00 million or 19.49% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, REGENCY ENERGY PARTNERS LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -86.32%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 6.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 2.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- REGENCY ENERGY PARTNERS LP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, REGENCY ENERGY PARTNERS LP reported lower earnings of $0.12 versus $0.29 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.30 versus $0.12).
- RGP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.66 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that RGP's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.68 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- You can view the full Regency Energy Partners Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.