Lazard Capital Markets analyst Aditya Satghare downgraded the stock to "neutral" from "buy," citing a more limited risk-reward. Writing that he saw "limited upside in the stock even giving Tesla the benefit of flawless execution to become a 'Porsche' over the coming decade," he argued that further growth on the stock would depend on its ability to expand overseas and approximately double its volumes. The feasibility of such expansion is unclear "until Tesla launches the Gen 3 in 2016/2017."
The electric car manufacturer's stock's risks include "slower-than-expected adoption of electric vehicles, recalls with components or systems, unsatisfactory yields/challenges during production ramp-up, and increased competition."
Tesla shares soared last week following strong second-quarter earnings far in excess of analysts' expectations.
Closing prices: BBRY jumped 10.5% to $10.78, AAPL rose 2.8% to $467.36 and TSLA dropped 3.7% to $147.88. -- Written by Laura Berman in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV