Lazard Capital Markets analyst Aditya Satghare downgraded the stock to "neutral" from "buy," citing a more limited risk-reward. Writing that he saw "limited upside in the stock even giving Tesla the benefit of flawless execution to become a 'Porsche' over the coming decade," he argued that further growth on the stock would depend on its ability to expand overseas and approximately double its volumes. The feasibility of such expansion is unclear "until Tesla launches the Gen 3 in 2016/2017."
The electric car manufacturer's stock's risks include "slower-than-expected adoption of electric vehicles, recalls with components or systems, unsatisfactory yields/challenges during production ramp-up, and increased competition."
Tesla shares soared last week following strong second-quarter earnings far in excess of analysts' expectations.
Closing prices: BBRY jumped 10.5% to $10.78, AAPL rose 2.8% to $467.36 and TSLA dropped 3.7% to $147.88. --Written by Laura Berman in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV