(Updates from 11:37 a.m. ET with closing information.)
In a press release this morning, the company announced that its Board of Directors had formed a committee, which includes CEO Thorsten Heins, "to explore strategic alternatives to enhance value and increase scale in order to accelerate BlackBerry 10 deployment." Such alternatives could include, the announcement said, "joint ventures, strategic partnerships or alliances, a sale of the Company or other possible transactions."
The chairman of the new committee, Timothy Dattels, said in the press release, "Given the importance and strength of our technology, and the evolving industry and competitive landscape, we believe that now is the right time to explore strategic alternatives." Heins added, "We continue to see compelling long-term opportunities for BlackBerry 10, we have exceptional technology that customers are embracing, we have a strong balance sheet and we are pleased with the progress that has been made in our transition."BlackBerry has struggled with a lagging market share, losing to rivals Apple and Samsung. Its shares have fallen nearly 20% year-to-date.
Apple (AAPL ) shares rose 2.48% to $465.72 amid rumors of an imminent new iPhone release. AllThingsD reported Monday that Apple would unveil its next iPhone on September 10. The company is rumored to announce a lower-range iPhone along with updates on its new iOS 7. The new phone may also contain a fingerprint sensor, given its $356 million acquisition of AuthenTec, a fingerprint security company, in July 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV