NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Baseball fans remember Mario Mendoza for the "Mendoza line," defined years ago by baseball Hall of Famer George Brett as a point of mediocrity. The slick-fielding shortstop had a decade-long career while hitting about .200. Thus, in baseball, .200 is the Mendoza line.
For bankers, book value is the Mendoza line. A bank is supposed to be worth at least its book value, and preferably a big premium to it.
Trouble is, most of the biggest banks haven't been hitting this well for years.
- The "London Whale" won't be charged, but the cover-up is always worse than the crime, and two former lower-level employees might be charged with criminal wrongdoing in covering it up. Still to be settled is whether the bank will have to formally admit wrongdoing.
- The bank is being charged in a civil case with violating securities laws in handling subprime mortgages ahead of the 2008 crash.
- The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) charged the bank with manipulating the market for electricity as many as eight times and handed its energy trading unit $410 million in fines.
- The bank faces charges, along with Goldman Sachs (GS), of manipulating aluminum prices, warehousing supplies to keep prices high. This is the case that was made part of a Daily Show sketch a few weeks ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV