It was a short timeline of events that caused Tesla's stock price to almost quadruple in the last couple of months. When Consumer Reports rated the Tesla Model S with a 99 out of a possible 100 points, it went down as the publication's top score for an automobile, ever.
Coupled with the financial package guarantee, the company's huge expansion of charging stations around the country, and apparent exponential increase in demand, Tesla -- and its stock -- have been making some serious waves.
The charging stations alone could be the first step in actually changing the world. It may seem ludicrous now since we're in the early stages, but it's not far-fetched to say the country could be covered with these new stations in several decades. Whether they're from Tesla or not doesn't really matter, Musk was the one who actually made it a reality, regardless of how many people have talked about it in the past.The South African native made his name early on when he merged his financial payments company with PayPal. Eventually, PayPal was acquired in 2002 by eBay (EBAY) for $1.5 billion in stock. Musk, still at the ripe age of 31, founded another company, this time bent on space exploration and rocket technology. SpaceX, started the same year that eBay acquired PayPal, was the first private company to launch a rocket into space and dock at the International Space Station. Although the company has secured approximately $4 billion in long-term contracts, Musk doesn't plan to IPO any time soon. In fact, for as much as SpaceX has completed, the company is still in its infancy when looking at what Musk plans to do with it. Mars is ultimately in his mind and I don't think he'll stop until he finds a way to conquer it. Musk has repeatedly reminded Earthlings that we need to "expand life beyond our little blue mud ball," or face extinction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV