MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI), a leading global money transfer company, today announced distribution of the first grants awarded through the MoneyGram Foundation. The Foundation, launched late last year, was established with a mission to help children around the world gain access to educational facilities and learning resources.
The MoneyGram Foundation believes that education is at the heart of better economic opportunities, healthier families, and individual freedom and empowerment. Through the Foundation, MoneyGram grants funds to worthy organizations working to give children the best education possible.
“The MoneyGram Foundation’s grants provide a variety of educational resources to children all over the globe, and will have an impact on thousands of children, their families and communities,” said Pamela H. Patsley, chairman and chief executive officer, MoneyGram. “Many of MoneyGram’s customers use our services to send hard-earned wages back home in an effort to improve the lives of their loved ones. We believe that education is the ultimate means for transforming lives, which is why we have chosen it as our focus. Our customers inspire and drive everything we do, including the mission of the Foundation.”
The MoneyGram Foundation chose eight organizations from hundreds of applicants. The programs span the globe, impacting thousands of children in six different countries and exemplifying the Foundation’s guiding principle of “inspiring minds and improving lives.” Currently, MoneyGram funds the Foundation through a monetary gift and access to in-kind resources. Recognizing the enormous need around the world for access to basic education, the Foundation plans to expand its funding support through contributions from others later this year.The MoneyGram Foundation’s inaugural grants have been awarded to the following organizations:
- Developments in Literacy, to fund three schools in Rawalpindi, Pakistan with over 70% female enrollment. These schools serve rural and impoverished regions of a country where nearly 75% of girls are illiterate.
- Child Aid’s Reading for Life program, to supply translated reading curriculum books for schools and libraries in Guatemala. These schools currently operate with an average of one translated book per class.
- Mumbai Mobile Creches, to provide education for children of migrant workers living temporarily on construction sites around Mumbai, India. Over 50,000 children reside in temporary housing on construction sites in the city of Mumbai with no access to formal education.
- Niños en Alegría, to train more than 160 teachers in technology and entrepreneurship student curricula in Guerrero, Mexico. Niños en Alegría currently operates eight schools, employing testing and curriculum standards that surpass public education standards in Mexico.
- The Maharaja Hanwant Singhji Charitable Trust’s Veerni Project, to provide room, board and tuition for girls in Jodhpur, India to attend secondary school. India has one of the largest populations of children without access to education. This project helps ensure the students complete their education.
- Grants for Innovative Teaching through the Junior League of Dallas, to fund innovative teaching programs in the Dallas Independent School District. These grants go toward projects in science, technology, engineering, math and literacy that otherwise would not be provided for in school budgets.
- Voices For Children Foundation, to purchase school uniforms for neglected children in Miami, Florida. All of the money goes directly to children who have been removed from their homes to buy enough school uniforms, including shoes, for one academic year.
- World Learning, to translate and print workbooks and provide teacher training in financial literacy education for orphaned teenagers in Ethiopia. The curriculum is designed to help students save money, plan for the future, and learn skills to become entrepreneurs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV