NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- Europe and China: Are they done going down?; and
- What does it take to stop a cult stock?
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
Once Again, the Turnaround Is RealPosted at 2:18 p.m. EDT on Friday, Aug. 9 Europe and China: Where are they? Are they done going down? Can they be counted on for tailwinds in the third and fourth quarters? Or will they remain headwinds? Isn't that how you feel on days like today? The market got hammered and then buyers came in, in part because of a sense of worldwide optimism. One thing's for certain: The European markets have been runaways since the S&P 500's bottom: Markets in Spain, Greece, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Ireland, Portugal and Switzerland are all up double digits since the beginning of the summer. That's pretty amazing. I simply do not believe you can get this kind of recovery in these stock markets without something positive and lasting going on. Now, we have ample evidence that Europe's been bottoming. We have no evidence of Europe actually improving in a sustainable fashion. We mostly have a cessation of job loss. However, was it any different when the U.S. market bottomed? Our stock market took off while the skeptics whined on and on that it wasn't for real, that it was all made with job cuts and flat revenue, particularly for the international companies. That said, you could argue that the European snap-back will be bigger than ours for the bottom line, because our companies made huge jobs cuts worldwide -- so any cessation of revenue loss is a big deal. Four groups could benefit dramatically: the international banks, the techs, industrials and the autos. Secondarily, the beverages, discretionary healthcare plays and even the packaged-goods outfits would see some year-over-year benefit. (F), General Motors (GM), Citigroup (C), PPG ( PPG ), Eaton (ETN), Avnet (AVT), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and General Electric (GE) of the country? You might even be tempted to buy McDonald's (MCD) and Coca-Cola (KO) off that trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV