If You Thought a Mortgage Was Impossible, Try It Now
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- After years of saying no to millions, mortgage lenders are loosening up, making it easier for people with less than perfect credit to get loans. Too bad not so many people are in the market.
The two facts are related, since lenders get hungrier when they don't have enough applicants. And both features arise from the market's changes as the financial crisis recedes into the past.
What's it add up to? Well, if you've been sitting on the sidelines reluctant to buy a home or refinance out of fear of rejection, it's time to get your loan application in. Not only are approval standards loosening, but mortgage rates could be higher in coming months.
Last week the Mortgage Bankers Association reported that its Mortgage Credit Availability Index had gone up for the fifth straight month, gaining 2.2% in June to 112.3. A higher score, based on lender requirements for credit score, loan-to-value ratios and other factors, means loans are easier to get.behind on debt payments, are still likely to be denied. But a few dents and scratches on your record might not be the deal killers they would have been a year or two ago. The first step for a prospective applicant is to check the credit history and correct any mistakes. Make sure you are up to date on all bills and loan payments, and gather all materials you'll need to show your income is big enough and dependable enough to support a loan. Also, put together some cash. With a bigger down payment you have a better chance of being approved, since a smaller loan relative to the home's value makes it easier for the lender to come out whole in a foreclosure. And be sure to shop around, as some lenders will be more lenient than others.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV