Luxury Brands Are the Latest Way to Coddle First-Class Fliers
SAN DIEGO (TheStreet) -- When was the last time you walked off a commercial flight with a free Gucci bag, Givenchy pajamas or Salvatore Ferragamo amenity kit?
If the answer is never, you're not flying the right airlines and not buying the right tickets.
There's a growing hyper-competitiveness in the airline industry when it comes to luring customers for ultra-expensive business and first-class seats on international routes, industry experts say, and it's leading airlines to offer increasingly more luxurious flight amenities and gifts for fliers.
"On international routes, airlines are really becoming competitive, because that's where the revenue is," says Oliver McGee, U.S. deputy assistant secretary of transportation during the Clinton administration. "And the luxury amenities and giveaways are designed to attract the high-end revenue streams that come from business and first class. When an airline fills up the business section or first-class section of its plane, 25% to 50% of the cost of that flight is paid for."Providing luxury goodies for well-heeled fliers is not exactly a new idea. But it is one making a robust resurgence in the post 9/11 airline industry after a decade of lost profits, constant reshuffling, mergers and bankruptcies. (AAR) started giving iPad cases to its high-paying fliers, Sloan says. Turkish Airlines has been known to hand out the cases as well.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV