Even a small investor can short the wrong stock and go long an equally erroneous one. But when the person responsible for Pershing Square Capital Management LP has accomplished this it's puzzling.
Bill Ackman's investment in one of the oldest retailers in the U.S. J.C. Penney (JCP) is down nearly 50% from the $600 million he invested in JCP.
This on top of his $1 billion bet against the renowned multi-level marketing distributor of nutritional supplements, which reportedly has racked up losses of nearly $350 million and the smell of old fish wafts higher in the air.Lots of news has surfaced that although Ackman's fund is up 4% by the end of July 2013, other equity hedge funds have averaged nearly an 8% gain during the same time period. It looks even worse when compared to how the S&P 500 performed during the first 7 months of 2013, up almost 20%. Perhaps the disparity in Ackman's investment style can best be illustrated by this 1-year price chart of both HLF and JCP. He and Pershing Square seemed to have helped HLF while harpooning JCP. Perhaps the disparity in Ackman's investment style can best be illustrated by this one-year price chart of both HLF and JCP. He and Pershing Square seemed to have helped HLF while harpooning JCP. HLF data by YCharts
This chart speaks louder than the Thursday letter Ackman wrote to the board of JCP and made public by CNBC on Friday. He demands that a new CEO be located and installed "within 30 to 45 days." As the largest shareholder of JCP, Ackman has stated publicly that he has just one overriding goal in his demands: is to help save one of the great American companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV