- BioTime’s shareholders approved the proposals related to the planned acquisition of stem cell related assets from Geron Corporation by BioTime’s subsidiary Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. Although there are several additional conditions that are required by the Asset Contribution Agreement, BioTime believes that it can fulfill those requirements and expects to close the transaction by the end of the third quarter of 2013.
- BioTime raised $9.1 million of equity capital in June 2013 through the sale of common shares and warrants to certain investors.
- BioTime expanded the size of its Board of Directors to nine and appointed Henry L. Nordhoff to the Board. Mr. Nordhoff retired as Chairman of the Board of Gen-Probe Incorporated, a clinical diagnostic and blood screening company, at the end of 2011, after serving as its Chairman since September 2002. Mr. Nordhoff brings to our Board a long record of experience and success in the pharmaceutical and biotech industries and provides our Board with valuable operational expertise and leadership skills during a period of significant growth.
- BioTime elected Franklin M. Berger to the BioTime Board of Directors. Mr. Berger is an experienced director of publicly-traded biotechnology companies, and currently serves on the boards of Seattle Genetics, Inc. and other companies. He is also a consultant to biotechnology industry participants, including major biopharmaceutical firms, mid-capitalization biotechnology companies, specialist asset managers and venture capital companies, providing business development, strategic advisory, financing, partnering, and royalty acquisition advice.
- BioTime’s Senior Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Robert W. Peabody, reassumed the additional role as Chief Financial Officer commencing May 10, 2013. Mr. Peabody, 59, has served as our Senior Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer since 2007 and also served on an interim basis as our Chief Financial Officer from September 2010 until October 2011.
- BioTime entered into a worldwide license agreement with the University of California, Los Angeles (“UCLA”) for novel technology related to the treatment of stroke. The licensed technology developed at UCLA uses one of BioTime’s HyStem ® hydrogels to deliver locally released growth factors to improve recovery from stroke. BioTime will sponsor on-going pre-clinical work at UCLA to advance the understanding of this technology and develop data in support for the potential filing of an IND for human clinical trials.
- BioTime submitted a protocol to European regulatory authorities for initiation of human clinical trials of Renevia™ as a medical device for the delivery of adipose stem cells for reconstructive surgery. The initiation of human clinical studies is expected this year subject to approval of the protocol.
- BioTime subsidiary LifeMap Sciences, Inc. entered into a value-added reseller agreement with Appistry, Inc., a company that provides big-data computing that supports life-science and medical analytics at hospitals and medical research centers and organizations. Appistry will market reports that include LifeMap Sciences’ GeneCards ® and MalaCards genetic information to clinicians and researchers under a revenue share arrangement with LifeMap Sciences, based on sales of such reports.
- BioTime subsidiary Cell Cure Neurosciences Ltd. was awarded a grant of 5.34 million Shekels, approximately $1.5 million, for 2013 from Israel’s Office of the Chief Scientist (OCS) to help finance the development of OpRegen ®, a cell-based therapeutic product being developed by Cell Cure Neurosciences for the treatment of age-related macular degeneration.
BioTime Announces Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results And Recent Corporate Accomplishments
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.