NORFOLK, Va., Aug. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Norfolk Southern Exhibit Car will launch a five-state public tour this fall, educating and entertaining audiences of all ages.
The Exhibit Car is a restored 1926 Pullman passenger car that was converted to a mobile museum in 1971. In its 41 years of service as a display car, more than 1.5 million people have viewed it in hundreds of cities across NS' railway system.
The car's first appearance this year was in Washington, D.C., on May 11 for National Train Day. The car will tour through December on the following schedule, with all events open to the public:
- Sept. 1-2: Scranton, Pa., Steamtown National Historic Site
- Sept. 7-8: Chattanooga, Tenn., Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
- Sept. 21-22: Old Fort, N.C., Railroad Festival Day
- Sept. 28-29: Inman, S.C., Railroad Day
- Nov. 8-29: Roanoke, Va., Virginia Museum of Transportation
As NS celebrated its 30 th anniversary last year, the company introduced 20 locomotives painted in the color schemes of some of its most prominent predecessor companies. Among new features added to the Exhibit Car in 2012 were models of all heritage locomotives – a collection completed this year with addition of the Veterans locomotive model – and digital images of the actual locomotives. Guests can view historical information about each railroad and watch a new video that demonstrates how a locomotive is painted.The Exhibit Car also features images and information about Norfolk Southern's employee volunteer program and its sustainability and safety initiatives. "Explore the Line" highlights how NS benefits local communities and creates jobs, and "Protect the Line" invites guests to help keep the rails safe.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts