NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It's said that nothing is certain but death and taxes. Yet it can also be said, with equal conviction, that nothing is as uncertain as the Dolan family.
That's the Dolans' of Cablevision Systems (CVC), who control 73% of their coveted tri-state cable company, primarily through a majority of Class B super-voting shares. Spinoffs, family feuds, take-private attempts and a foray into satellite broadcasting (this with Cablevision positioned as satellite broadcasting's killer, mind you), the Dolans generate more news than any other cable clan.
Shares of Cablevision were higher in Friday trading, up 0.62% to $19.60.
So, given the source, the surprise that the Dolans simultaneously have death, taxes and themselves in the news isn't that much of a surprise at all. It is, rather, a timely exploration of the endgame many consider imminent for the country's ninth-largest multisystem operator.Last month, in a research report that rated Cablevision "outperform," Macquarie Capital analyst Amy Yong presented logical ways for the Dolans to proceed. The report, entitled "The Dolan Jewels," began by acknowledging that Cablevision chairman and family patriarch Charles "Chuck" Dolan is 86. Yong then enlisted a tax attorney to help her assess various Dolan trusts, after which they identified a stock deal or merger while Cablevision's chairman is still alive as "the most tax-advantageous transaction" for the Dolan dynasty. The upside to this sort of deal is it would defer capital gains. The downside is it would carry over the cost basis -- believed to be prohibitively low in most cases -- of each trust's Cablevision shares. However, for many of those trusts, this downside would disappear when the family patriarch ultimately passed. "Upon his death," Yong wrote, "half the Revocable Trust and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV