Editor's Note: This piece has been updated from August 8, to correct the ticker for Tesco Plc (TSCDY), which was misidentified as TESO, an unrelated company.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Trading volumes may be low but things aren't dead in the news, TheStreet's Brittany Umar said Friday.
For instance, Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) agreed to pay a $190,000 fine for failing to adhere to proper safety conditions. The Labor Department cited the company for having blocked exits, improper trash compactor practices and subpar training regarding hazardous wastes.
Wal-Mmrt has also agreed to improve these conditions and retrain employees with the correct procedures, she said.Shifting to China, Tesco Plc (TSCDY) agreed to merge with state-controlled China Resources Enterprise. Tesco will have a 20% stake in the newly formed company after combining 130 of its regional stores. Finally, sales for the third-largest retailer in the world were down 5% for the fiscal first quarter due to food safety concerns in China. Microsoft (MSFT) recently announced its new Xbox One would include a headset, contrary to earlier claims. The headset, which was originally going to cost gamers an additional $20 to get, will be included with both the limited edition and standard edition systems. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV