NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On Aug. 1 the Dow Transportation Average set a new all-time high at 6686.86 despite having a sector rating of "avoid-source of funds." The transportation sector has this rating because 70% of all stocks in this sector have sell or strong sell ratings according to www.ValuEngine.com.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average set its all-time high at 15,658.43 on Aug. 2, and 14 stocks in this benchmark index have buy ratings, as I noted on Aug. 1 in "August Begins With New Highs and New Risky Levels." These stocks still have buy ratings today. I have been suggesting that investors allocating cash to the stock market focus on the buy-rated Dow components with 50% of investment dollars in cash.
The S&P 500 set its all-time high at 1709.67 on Aug. 2, and 139 stocks, or just 27.8% of these stocks have buy ratings. A warning is that only 15 of these stocks are undervalued.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV