NORFOLK, Va., Aug. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Norfolk Southern has disclosed the railroad's business strategy for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and its environmental footprint in a filing with the international not-for-profit CDP.
The railroad's annual public disclosure to CDP provides customers, investors, employees, and communities information about how Norfolk Southern is addressing potential risks and benefits related to greenhouse gas emissions.
"Norfolk Southern is committed to being an industry leader in environmental stewardship," said Blair Wimbush, vice president real estate and corporate sustainability officer. "Efforts to improve our performance and to mitigate the environmental impacts of business operations are part of daily life on our railroad. We are proud to offer customers a fuel- and carbon-efficient means of transporting their goods."
In the CDP filing, Norfolk Southern describes key strategic initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. They include:
- purchasing new, more fuel-efficient locomotives
- expanding use of idle-reduction and train-handling technologies
- making infrastructure improvements to increase capacity and fluidity of the company's major rail corridors, including the Heartland and Crescent corridors
- continuing research and development of alternative power, including renewable biofuels and battery-powered locomotives
- upgrading office buildings, shops, and yard facilities with more energy-efficient lighting and heating and air-conditioning systems
- recycling older locomotives by equipping them with more fuel-efficient, cleaner-burning engines
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV