NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- While many investors have made bullish bets that the retail sector will continue to outperform, the recent sales data would suggest somewhat of a disappointment. TheStreet's Brittany Umar and Laurie Kulikowski take a look at the results.
Kulikowski said that retail sales figures have been mixed so far for July. While not every company has reported, investors were disappointed by Costco Wholesale (COST), but surprised by L Brands (LTD).
She added that The Gap (GPS), which reports after the close on Friday, would be a strong tell for retail.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV