There have been recent reports that Apple's board is pressuring CEO Tim Cook to increase the pace of innovation, and get something out to the markets fast. It seems odd that Apple's board of directors would start to make a stir now when Apple is slated to launch a slew of new products, software and services starting in the next few months.
That is, unless Apple's board knows something we, the marketplace, doesn't know. Considering how tight of a ship Apple runs, that's a possibility, and one that has to be considered.
Apple could not be reached for comment for this story.On Apple's fiscal second-quarter earnings call, Cook himself said Apple would be releasing new products soon. "Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services that we can't wait to introduce this fall and throughout 2014," Cook said on the call. "We continue to be very confident in our future product plans." Cook presumably speaks to Apple's board of directors, seeing as he's on it. One would think that Apple's board, perhaps the most powerful in the country, with luminaries such as Al Gore, J. Crew CEO Micky Drexler, Walt Disney (DIS) CEO Bob Iger, Art Levinson, William Campbell, Andrea Jung, and Dr. Ronald Sugar, might know something about what's in Apple's pipeline, and when it's coming. Apple is expected to release a slate of new products in the coming months. That's likely led by the iPhone 5S, and perhaps a low-end iPhone, currently dubbed the iPhone 5C. Apple is also expected to refresh its iPad line, with new versions of the iPad and iPad mini slated for later this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV