Sterling Construction Company, Inc. (NasdaqGS: STRL) (“Sterling” or “the Company”) today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013.
Financial results for the second quarter of 2013 were depressed by a net pre-tax charge of $18.0 million, of which $13.9 million was the result of site-specific conditions affecting three projects, two in Texas and one in Arizona, that encountered unanticipated costs in excess of initial project estimates. The remaining $4.1 million loss was primarily related to less significant estimated losses on jobs awarded prior to 2012. On an after-tax basis, the total charge accounted for $11.6 million or $0.70 per diluted share of the net loss attributable to common stockholders.
Second Quarter 2013 Financial Results Compared to Second Quarter 2012:
- Revenues were $133.4 million, compared to $168.7 million;
- Gross deficit was 12.5% of revenues compared to a gross margin of 9.0%;
- General and administrative expenses as a percentage of revenues were 7.1% compared to 5.0%;
- Operating loss was $26.1 million compared to operating income of $8.2 million;
- Net loss attributable to Sterling common stockholders was $17.0 million compared to net income $3.3 million; and,
- Net loss per diluted share attributable to common stockholders was $0.93 compared to net income per diluted share of $0.15.
Second Quarter 2013 Highlights:
- Bookings of $154 million were up 133% from the second quarter of 2012 and increased 4.0% from the first quarter of 2013, representing a book-to-bill ratio of 1.15:1;
- Total backlog as of June 30, 2013 was $714 million, an increase of 8.8% since December 31, 2012, and up 3.0% since March 31, 2013;
- At quarter end the backlog of projects awarded after 2011 was 78% of total backlog, or $560 million with an average gross margin of 6.3%; the backlog of projects awarded during 2013 was 37% of total backlog, or $265 million and carries an average gross margin of 8.0%; and,
- Total backlog at June 30, 2013 excluded $107 million of projects where we were the apparent low bidder but had not yet been awarded the contract; the average gross margin of these awards is approximately 13.1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV