By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Bullish option traders are piling into Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) as its shares reach all-time highs.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of about 2,100 October 105 calls Thursday, led by a large print of 1,355 contracts that went for $3.35. Volume was more than nine times the previous open interest at the strike, indicating that this is fresh buying.
Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, offering potentially significant leverage in a rally. Investors also use these options to limit the amount of capital at risk if the shares reverse lower. But the Valeant calls bought Thursday will expire worthless in mid-October if the stock remains below the $105 strike price.Valeant's shares rose 4.19% to $101.68 on Thursday, a new closing high. The stock had spent most of June at support around $84 but then started moving last month and gained 2% on Wednesday as strong demand in emerging markets prompted management to raise guidance. Total option volume in the session was more than triple its daily average for the last month, with overall calls leading puts by 4,200 to 1,700. Yamamoto has no positions in VRX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV