By Mike Yamamoto, managing editor of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Bullish option traders are piling into Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) as its shares reach all-time highs.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of about 2,100 October 105 calls Thursday, led by a large print of 1,355 contracts that went for $3.35. Volume was more than nine times the previous open interest at the strike, indicating that this is fresh buying.
Calls lock in the price where shares can be purchased, offering potentially significant leverage in a rally. Investors also use these options to limit the amount of capital at risk if the shares reverse lower. But the Valeant calls bought Thursday will expire worthless in mid-October if the stock remains below the $105 strike price.Valeant's shares rose 4.19% to $101.68 on Thursday, a new closing high. The stock had spent most of June at support around $84 but then started moving last month and gained 2% on Wednesday as strong demand in emerging markets prompted management to raise guidance. Total option volume in the session was more than triple its daily average for the last month, with overall calls leading puts by 4,200 to 1,700. Yamamoto has no positions in VRX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV