Best And Worst Mobile Banking Apps
Now that most banks have caught on to mobile banking, tech-savvy consumers should be happy to bank virtually anywhere, right? Wrong, says a new report that analyzes how customers feel about their bank's mobile applications.
Xtreme Labs, a mobile strategy and product development company, ranked apps from 53 banks by reviewing user feedback left in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. The report also examined which platform provides the most accommodating mobile environment for banking apps: Apple's iOS or Google's Android.
Banks with the best mobile apps
The best apps had at least three stars, a more than a 60 percent favorable rating and at least 25 user reviews in either the Apple or Google stores. According to the report, the following are the top three banking apps for Apple devices:
- Citizens Bank Mobile Banking: 4.5 stars and a 93 percent favorable rating
- Charter One Mobile Banking: 4 stars and a 91 percent favorable rating
- KeyBank for iPad: 4 stars and an 83 percent favorable rating
Meanwhile, the following banking apps were the top rated for Android devices:
- USAA Mobile: 4.6 stars and 95 percent favorable rating
- Citizens Bank Mobile Banking: 4.5 stars and a 97 percent favorable rating
- AmEx Mobile: 4.4 stars and a 91 percent favorable rating
At the bottom of the rankings, People's United Bank Mobile Banking for iPad and PNC Mobile Banking tied as the lowest-rated iOS app. Both earned only 2 stars and had a 79 percent negative rating. For Android devices, M&T Mobile ranked lowest with 2.3 stars and a 63 percent negative rating.
Apple vs. Android
Techies have long debated whether the Apple or Android mobile app platform is superior when it comes to functionality and user experience. But as far as mobile banking goes, the Xtreme Labs report indicates that Android is the winner.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV