6 Bits of Financial Advice From Homer Simpson, Forrest Gump and Others
By Noah Marell
NEW YORK ( AdviceIQ) -- Growing up, I watched a lot of TV and movies. Surprisingly, I gleaned financial wisdom from them. It's fun to note the hidden money lessons we can learn from some of our favorite movies and TV shows.
Starting here are some basic, yet critical, insights we can take away from popular culture quotes.
The quote: "My momma always said, 'Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.'"
From: Forrest Gump
The lesson: The financial markets are also a lot like a box of chocolates. The industry's favorite line is "Past results do not guarantee future performance." While this is in part legalese, it is also true. Timing the market isn't just hard to do -- doing it effectively or reliably is essentially impossible. The stock market returned 8.21% over the past 20 years, while the average stock investor returned only 4.25%, according to a study by the research firm Dalbar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV