The Middleby Corporation (NASDAQ: MIDD), a leading worldwide manufacturer of equipment for the commercial foodservice, food processing and residential kitchen equipment industries, today reported net sales and earnings for the second quarter ended June 29, 2013. Net earnings for the second quarter were $37,163,000 or $2.00 per share on net sales of $363,801,000 as compared to the prior year second quarter net earnings of $31,045,000 or $1.67 per share on net sales of $260,040,000.
2013 Second Quarter Financial Highlights
- During the second quarter of 2013, the company purchased four of Viking’s former distributors for approximately $14.9 million.
- Net sales increased 40.0% in the second quarter as compared to the prior year second quarter. Sales from acquisitions amounted to $76.1 million or 29.3% during the quarter. Excluding the impact of acquisitions, sales increased 10.7% during the second quarter.
- Net sales at the company’s Commercial Foodservice Equipment Group increased 13.5% in the second quarter as compared to the prior year second quarter. During fiscal 2012, the company completed the acquisition of Nieco. Excluding the impact of this acquisition, net sales increased by 11.0%.
- Net sales at the company’s Food Processing Equipment Group increased 29.0% in the second quarter as compared to the prior year second quarter. During fiscal 2012, the company completed the acquisition of Stewart Systems. Excluding the impact of this acquisition, net sales increased by 9.4% in the second quarter.
- Net sales at the company’s Residential Kitchen Equipment Group amounted to $58.8 million.
- Gross profit in the second quarter increased to $136.6 million from $101.8 million and the gross margin rate decreased from 39.2% to 37.5%. The decline in the gross margin rate reflects the impact of lower gross margins at Viking. Excluding the impact from the Viking acquisition, the gross margin rate was 38.9%.
- Operating income increased 33.1% to $60.3 million as compared to $45.3 million in the prior year quarter.
- Non-cash expenses included in operating income during the second quarter of 2013 increased to $14.4 as compared to $9.5 million in the prior year. Non-cash expenses during the 2013 second quarter were comprised of $4.2 million of depreciation, $7.3 million of intangible amortization and $2.9 million of non-cash share based compensation.
- Total debt at the end of the 2013 second quarter amounted to $618.0 million as compared to $260.1 million at the end of 2012, reflecting the impact of the Viking and Viking Distributor acquisitions completed during the first and second quarters of 2013. The company’s debt is financed primarily under its $1 billion senior revolving credit facility, which was entered into on August 7, 2012. The interest rate subsequent to the Viking acquisition was at LIBOR plus a margin of 1.75%, which is adjusted quarterly based upon the company’s leverage ratio.
Selim A. Bassoul Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “We continued to realize strong growth at both the Commercial Foodservice Equipment Group and the Food Processing Group. Increased revenues in both segments reflect demand from customers adopting new technologies to improve the efficiency of their operations and continued expansion in international markets.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV