According to data from SNL Kagen, a leading industry research firm, broadcast retransmission fees rose a estimated 372 percent from 2008 to 2012, and are anticipated to rise more than 1,100 percent by 2018, from $500 million in 2008 to $6.1 billion.
“As pay-TV providers across the board watch our subscriber base level off, we do not have the profit margins to absorb those costs and are forced to pass them on to consumers,” added Shull. “The people left in the dark are viewers. I think consumers are fed up, and I don’t blame them.”
To read Raycom’s suggestion to viewers to switch providers, see the following links:
January: Raycom asks Cox Cable viewers to switch http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/01/cox_raycom_fee_dispute_still_l.htmlJuly: Raycom asks Mediacom viewers to switch http://www.walb.com/story/22489793/a-message-for-walb-subscribers August: Raycom asks DISH customers to switch http://www.19actionnews.com/category/265597/attention-dish-subscribers About DISH DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.014 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2013, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life ®. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV