Jones Soda Co. (the Company) (OTCQB: JSDA), a leader in the premium soda category and known for its unique branding and innovative marketing, today announced results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2013.
Results for the second quarter continue to reflect the efforts of our Turnaround Plan, which was initiated with the change in management in the second half of 2012.
For the second quarter of 2013, the Company achieved a 79% improvement in bottom line performance, reporting a net loss of $95,000, or $0.00 per share, compared to a net loss of $459,000, or $(0.01) per share, for the second quarter 2012. Revenue declined 19% to $4.3 million compared to revenue of $5.3 million for the second quarter of 2012 reflecting management's strategy to reallocate resources to certain targeted markets.
“Twelve months ago when I returned to Jones Soda as CEO, I stated that our priority was to become a financially-sustainable company by aligning our operating expenses with our capital resources and size of our Company. Our efforts are delivering results evident by the breakeven EPS this quarter as well as positive EBITDA. Jones Soda today is a stronger business because we act like owners and make decisions with an eye to the Company's long-term profitability,” stated Jennifer Cue, CEO of Jones Soda Co.Ms. Cue added, “We will continue doing what we've been doing, maintaining our focus and discipline in executing our Turnaround Plan. With our emphasis on making our product more widely available in independent accounts, we believe we have a more balanced and diversified distribution strategy.” Second Quarter Review - Comparison of Quarters Ended June 30, 2013 and 2012
- Revenue decreased 19% to $4.3 million, compared to $5.3 million last year.
- Gross margin decreased to 29% of revenue, compared to 30% of revenue last year.
- Operating expenses decreased 34% to $1.3 million, compared to $2.0 million last year.
- Net loss improved 79% to $95,000, or $0.00 per share, compared to a net loss of $459,000, or $(0.01) per share, last year.
- EBITDA (earnings before interest, income taxes, depreciation and amortization and stock-based compensation) was $54,000, compared to negative EBITDA of $312,000 last year.
- Revenue decreased 19% to $7.4 million, compared to $9.1 million last year.
- Gross margin decreased to 27% of revenue, compared to 29% of revenue last year.
- Operating expenses decreased 47% to $2.5 million, compared to $4.7 million last year.
- Net loss improved 77% to $494,000, or $(0.01) per share, compared to a net loss of $2.1 million, or $(0.06) per share, last year.
- Negative EBITDA was $204,000, compared to $1.8 million last year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts