NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tiger Woods' attempt to win a fifteenth major championship got off to a shaky start Thursday.
Despite good scoring conditions, with the course softened by rain last night, Woods had a rough first day at the PGA Championship in Rochester, New York. Although he was one-under-par for most of the round, he shot a one-over-par 71, with only two birdies, a bogey, and a double bogey on the eighteenth hole. Woods' inability to hit the greens, having missed nine greens in the first round, made his score of 71 almost impressive.
Woods was tied for 67th place at the conclusion of play yesterday. Adam Scott currently leads the tournament, shooting -7, with almost four dozen golfers under par.
Admitting that "the round realistically could have been under par easily," Woods nonetheless sounded an optimistic note, saying, "The round realistically could have been under par easily. I played really well today." He added, "I feel like I played well enough and made some nice key putts and the key is I left it in good spots, too. I'm still right there. I mean...as of right now, I'm only six back and we have a long way to go."Although Woods has won five championships this year, he hasn't won a major championship since the 2008 US Open. He has won fourteen other major championships in his career, trailing Jack Nicklaus's record by four. The 37-year-old has been endorsed by Nike (NKE) since he went pro in 1996, continuing to support him during his highly public infidelity scandals in 2009 and subsequent divorce while other sponsors fled. American Phil Mickelson, who won the British Open last month, had an even worse day yesterday in Rochester, tying for 112th place with no birdies, a bogey, and a double bogey. --Written by Laura Berman in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV