Wright Medical Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: WMGI) today announced it received a not approvable letter from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in response to its Pre-Market Approval (PMA) application for Augment ® Bone Graft for use as an alternative to autograft in hindfoot and ankle fusion procedures.
In the letter, FDA states it is “concerned that the population enrolled was predominantly low risk and, therefore, may not have warranted the use of either autograft or Augment Bone Graft.” FDA went on to state it believes that “it will be necessary to perform a new clinical study that evaluates the use of Augment Bone Graft as a substitute for autograft in hindfoot and ankle fusion procedures in a well-defined high-risk target population, where the use of autograft would be clinically warranted.”
In summary, FDA concerns included “the patient population studied in the clinical study, the amount of graft material implanted, and the uncertainty as to whether any graft material would be needed or if the use of no graft material in a fusion procedure of the hindfoot and ankle in the population studied would have achieved similar results.” FDA provided a number of additional observations about the clinical study design and results.
“Needless to say, we are very disappointed by the FDA’s decision to issue a not approvable letter for our PMA application for Augment Bone Graft,” stated Robert Palmisano, president and chief executive officer of Wright. “This is not what we expected, as we believed that all of the FDA’s concerns as outlined in their previous not approvable letter from December 2011 had been fully and thoroughly addressed in the PMA amendment that BioMimetic submitted in June 2012. We are continuing to study the FDA’s position and expect we will work collaboratively with the agency to determine an appropriate path forward.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV