Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS) today reported that net sales for the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 increased 8 percent compared with the second quarter of fiscal year 2012, and that July 2013 net sales increased 5 percent compared with last year.
“We are pleased with our second quarter performance overall, and we’re focused on continuing our momentum as we move into the second half of the year,” said Glenn Murphy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gap Inc.
Net sales for the second quarter, which ended August 3, 2013, were $3.87 billion compared with $3.58 billion for the second quarter last year. In addition, net sales for the four-week period ended August 3, 2013 were $1.12 billion compared with net sales of $1.06 billion for the four-week period ended July 28, 2012.
Due to the 53 rd week in fiscal year 2012, comparable sales for July 2013 and the second quarter of fiscal year 2013, respectively, are compared to the four-week and 13-week periods ended August 4, 2012. On this basis, Gap Inc.’s comparable sales for July 2013 were up 1 percent compared with a 10 percent increase for July 2012, and the company’s second quarter comparable sales were up 5 percent compared with a 4 percent increase in the second quarter last year.July Comparable Sales Results Comparable sales by global brand for July 2013 were as follows:
- Gap Global: positive 7 percent versus positive 10 percent last year
- Banana Republic Global: negative 1 percent versus positive 8 percent last year
- Old Navy Global: negative 5 percent versus positive 12 percent last year
- Gap Global: positive 6 percent versus positive 3 percent last year
- Banana Republic Global: negative 1 percent versus positive 6 percent last year
- Old Navy Global: positive 6 percent versus positive 3 percent last year
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV