CLEVELAND, Aug. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion East Ohio is using the calendar date August 11, or 8/11, as a natural reminder that Ohio law requires the general public and contractors to call 8-1-1, at least 48 hours prior to any digging project, to have underground utility lines marked. This will help ensure safe excavation. Promoting the Call 8-1-1 and other pipeline safety messages have helped the company reduce third-party dig-ins 30 percent over the past seven years.
When calling 8-1-1, homeowners are connected to the Ohio Utility Protection Service (OUPS), the local one-call center, which notifies the appropriate utility companies of their intent to dig. This service is free of charge. Professional locators are then sent to the requested digging site to mark the approximate locations of underground lines with flags, spray paint or both.
"When we started tracking third-party damages to our system back in 2006, our damage ratio was near five damages per 1,000 'Call Before You Dig' tickets, says Brian Witte , consulting engineer, Ohio Pipeline Safety. "As of 2012, our damage ratio is now 3.6 damages per 1,000 'Call Before You Dig' tickets. With DEO receiving over 250,000 'Call Before You Dig' tickets annually, this equates to roughly a 30-percent decrease in third party damages."
Striking a single utility line can cause injury, repair costs, fines and inconvenient outages. State law mandates a call to 8-1-1 for every digging project, no matter how big or small. Installing a mailbox, putting in a fence, building a deck, or planting a tree, are all examples of digging projects that require a call to 8-1-1 before starting.The depth of utility lines can vary for a number of reasons, such as erosion, previous digging projects and uneven surfaces. Utility lines need to be properly marked because even when digging only a few inches deep, the risk of striking an underground utility line still exists.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV